Friday, October 30, 2009
Absolutely Awesome Triple Chocolate Biscotti
This recipe is an absolute winner. If I were to "play" with it, I would add nuts, any nuts- almonds, pine nuts- and these would become "fully loaded"! Feel free to double or even triple the recipe.
(to make 32 biscotti)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
1 large egg, lightly beaten.
** 1/2 cup of nuts, if using**
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar (use an electric mixer). Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture.
3. Fold in the chocolate chips, the chocolate-covered espresso beans and the nuts (if adding).
4. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a 2-inch-wide log. Transfer the logs to a large parchment paper covered baking sheet and brush with egg white.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
6. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Cut each log crosswise into 1/2-inch wide slices and arrange the slices on the baking sheets, cut side down. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly dry. Let cool on the baking sheets.