Thursday, July 30, 2020

Chipotle Barbecue Sauce - not just for summer

**to preserve this sauce, you will need to pressure can.**

There are two barbecues in my backyard so I am always looking for great sauces, especially ones I can preserve.  This recipe is based on the one found in Mrs Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry.  One of my mainstay canning resources.  I will say this sauce is an investment in time and ingredients and well worth it!

It hits all my high notes- spicy, thick, sweet, complex and great on pork, chicken, burgers- just about anything you want to grill or smoke.

Plan ahead- you will need Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, tomato purée (I used my homemade purée) and tomato ketchup (I would have like to use homemade but settled for store bought).

To make approximately 4 500ml jars.

Ingredients:
500 ml           tomato purée
355 ml           ketchup, homemade or store-bought
500 ml           strawberry rhubarb sauce
500 ml           strong black coffee
120 ml           water
120 gr            molasses
60 ml             cider vinegar
60 ml             bourbon or rye (optional)
1 tbsp            asian fish sauce
1 tsp              hot sauce
1/2 cup          minced onion
1/4 cup          chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (use less chiles and more sauce if you want to lower the heat)
1 tbsp            minced garlic

Directions:
Place all the ingredients in a heavy 5qt pot- stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until thick- about one hour.

Laddle the sauce into clean 500 ml jars- clean the rims, place the lids and rings on the jars.

Process for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

This sauce remains shelf stable for about one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment