Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Gooseberry Jam-

I had never considered gooseberry jam before but when someone issues a challenge, I am always up for it.  So these little berries are new to me and I never thought a flat of these would take about three hours to "top and tail"  i.e. clean up and prep.  Kuddos to all those German, Dutch and Eastern European women who prepared their annual batches!  Now that I know gooseberries, I will incorporate them into my annual rotation- but as gooseberry-raspberry jam. Why? because my steam juicer eliminates the need to top and tail- a great time saver and you still get the great taste!

This recipe was found in The Joys of Jewish Preserving by Emily Pastor.  I have enjoyed preparing a few of her preserves- in the Jewish European or Middle Eastern traditions.  I am always on the "hunt" for new takes on preserves and am happy with Emily's approach.
Selection of early summer preserves...


This makes about three 250 ml jars.


Ingredients
600 gr       gooseberries
1 cup         water
2 tbsp       lemon juice
3 cups       sugar

Directions

Remove the stems and blossom ends of the gooseberries.  Combine the berries, water, and lemon juice in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat and then turn down the heat to a simmer until the berries break down,  Add the sugar all at once and return  to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Boil the jam hard for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.

It should reach 220 degrees, which I check with a thermopen or you can use a candy thermometer.

Remove the jam from the heat and skim off any foam.  Ladle into prepared jars, clean the rims with a damp paper towel, place the lids and rings on the jars.  Process the jars in a boiling water bath (or steam canner) for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool in the water for about five minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment