Monday, May 17, 2021

Traditional Rhubarb Relish (with riff)

This is my first rhubarb relish.  I planted rhubarb in my garden a couple of years ago and finally this year have enough to make at least two batches of preserves, more to come in a few weeks.  I didn't grow up eating rhubarb, that very tart fruit and honestly, it doesn't look very appetizing in the canning pot- kind of grey.  My friend Barb, the rhubarb connaisseur assures me the tart flavour of rhubarb is there, it's just not very pretty.

Soooo, I used the recipe from the Time Life Preserving  book as the base for the first batch, then made the second batch my way :-).

Rhubarb Relish - one traditional
and one lemon and hot pepper



To make approx. six 250 ml jars

Ingredients

2 lbs      rhubarb, leaves removed, stalks trimmed and diced (about 4 cups)

4 cups    onions, diced

2 cups   cider vinegar

4 cups   brown sugar

1 tsp     ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp  ground cloves

1 tsp     ground allspice

1/2 tsp  ground black pepper

2 tsp    salt


Directions:

Mix all the ingredients in a large canning pan and bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 45 minutes or until the mixture forms a thick purée, with all the excess juice absorbed.

Pour the relish into hot canning jars and process for 10 minutes.  Let the jars sit about one month before opening.

WANNA PLAY?

I replaced about 1/2 cup of vinegar with lemon juice, then added the grated lemon rind of one lemon (towards the end of the cooking time) and about 1/2 tsp of dried hot pepper flakes.  The lemon adds a touch of brightness to the relish and of course the peppers, a little heat.




No comments:

Post a Comment